Today, we will focus on a critter known for testing your home’s defences: the common mouse. Now, while they may seem harmless or even cute, these small creatures can become quite a nuisance if they find their way into your sanctuary. But why would they invade, and how do they gain entrance? Glad you asked. We have all the intel on these little whiskered pests at Home Free Wildlife and Pest Removal!
Why Mice Break into Homes?
Just like us, mice look for comfort and sustenance to survive. Your cozy home provides a perfect solution.
- Shelter from elements: When the outdoors gets too hot, cold, or wet, a nice, temperature-controlled house offers the perfect living conditions. It’s akin to a paid holiday resort but for mice!
- Source of food: Let’s face it. There can be a lot of food in our homes, whether crumbs on the floor, food in the pantry, or fruit on the table. For a mouse, it’s a veritable buffet.
- Protection from predators: Homes provide safe havens from the dangers of outdoor living, with plenty of nooks and crannies for hiding from predators and no risk of hawk or fox intruding for a midnight snack.
These factors can be very compelling to a little mouse looking to enter the world.
How Mice Get into Homes?
These resourceful pests are surprisingly adept at exploiting any weakness in your home’s exterior defences.
- Roofline and Roof Vents: Mice are fantastic climbers who can easily scale your walls to access the smallest gaps in your roof or vents.
- Cracks in Window and Door Frames: Even the smallest crack is a welcome mat for a mouse, as they can squeeze through openings as small as a dime!
- Breather Bricks and Roof Soffit Intersections: These architectural features can be hotspots for mouse activity. Mice can chew through soft materials, making these areas particularly vulnerable.
Knowledge is power, and understanding why and how mice decide to move into their living quarters is the first step toward fixing the issue. Our Home Free Wildlife and Pest Removal team has decades of experience dealing with uninvited guests. Our friendly and professional experts will assess your situation, provide a detailed action plan, and work tirelessly to ensure that your personal sanctuary becomes critter-free again.
Mice are not precisely what you’d call clean housemates. As they scurry around, they leave trails of urine and feces wherever they roam. This isn’t only unpleasant to consider – it can pose real health risks. Mouse droppings can spread diseases like Hantavirus and Salmonella, and the accumulation of urine and feces can produce a foul odour that can permeate your home. Moreover, their nesting materials, often made of bits of your home’s insulation, fabric, or paper, can also turn into breeding grounds for mould and bacteria.
In the video below, you can see a great example of what just six months of an untreated mouse issue becomes:
Picture this: An electric outage due to a chewed-up wire, insulation looking like a stampede passed through it, and the potent smell of mouse excrement buildup. None of these are signs of a well-maintained home. Mice love to chew—and your home’s wires, insulation and other materials are a veritable banquet. This not only leads to electrical malfunctions—it can also create a fire hazard. Furthermore, mouse droppings and urine-soaked materials can create lasting damage that can be costly to repair.
Incredible Reproduction Rate
Perhaps their astounding reproduction rate is the most compelling reason not to ignore a mouse problem. With their inclination toward incestuous mating, a single pair of breeding mice can explode into a population of over 100 mice in just six months. Now picture this happening with multiple breeding pairs, and you’ve got a full-blown infestation in your home, taking over room by room till it’s no longer livable!
Our extensive experience at Home Free Wildlife and Pest Removal shows that ignoring a mouse problem is never a viable solution. As friendly as we are, we believe that your house belongs to you and you alone, not to an army of overeager rodents.
Prevention: The Best Cure
As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and this maxim holds true in the war against mice. Here are some of the preventative steps you can take:
- Caulking Gaps: Use special wildlife-designed caulking to seal small gaps and crevices in your home’s exterior. Remember, mice can sneak through spaces as small as a dime!
- Securing Vents: Instaling corrugated steel mesh around your roof and wall vents is a great preventative measure, as these are common entry points for mice, and they cannot chew their way in.
- Breather Bricks: Adding fine mesh to your home’s breather bricks can stop mice from utilizing these as their personal gateways.
- Use Drip Edge: Drip edge is metal flashing custom fitted to the dimensions of your roof boards, placed to protect your roof boards from being gnawed away by these persistent critters.
If you’ve had a mouse problem, decontamination is key to creating a safe and healthy living space.
- Cleanup: Remove all accessible contamination, such as droppings and nesting materials.
- Decontamination Spray: Spray all affected areas thoroughly with a quality spray to kill off any bacteria or pathogens.
- Replacing Insulation: Sometimes, the damage is extensive enough to warrant replacing your current insulation. It’s an investment worth making to ensure the health and safety of your family.
One-Way Door System: An Exit with No Reentry
The one-way door system is one of the most effective strategies we implement in mouse population control. This smart solution allows mice to leave your home but prevents them from reentering.
It’s in their nature, regardless of extreme weather or accessibility of food, to leave the building regularly. So eventually, all of them will have exited through the trap doors and be permanently excluded from your home.
While these steps may sound simple, remember that dealing with a mouse infestation is a daunting task that requires experience and expertise. Here at Home Free Wildlife and Pest Removal, we’re always ready to lend a helping hand with that winning combination of friendly reassurance and professional service that you’ve come to know and trust.
Don’t let a mouse problem give you sleepless nights. With us on your team, you can rest easy knowing your home will be rodent-free in no time. Give us a call today, and always remember: together, with a big smile, we’ll be sending those pesky pests packing!