CONFIRMING ITS Skunks
Confirming you have a skunk problem on your property is pretty simple. You will smell it eventually. However, there are other signs to look out for as early detection can save you or your pets a smelly encounter with these critters.
SIGNS YOU ARE DEALING WITH SKUNKS
Skunks have a potent and distinctive spray that we are all familiar with. If a skunk sprays anywhere near your property you will be aware.
Another great indicator is noticing an increase of skunk activity around your property. Also, look for evidence of digging as skunks will dig under a deck or shed to nest.
Skunks are nocturnal animals who will be more active during spring, summer and fall. They are less active in winter surviving of their fat reserves, only coming out occasionally during warmer spells.
The oat obvious concern with having skunks on your property in having a family member or pet sprayed. However, skunks can pose a health risk as well as do damage to your property.
COMMON HEALTH RISKS
Leptospirosis – a bacteria found in urine that is contracted through contact with contaminated soil, food or water
Rabies – a viral infection passed through the saliva of an infected animal. This is potentially deadly and should be treated immediately
Canine distemper – a virus that affects every major system in a dog, usually fatal.
Contamination – any surface or food that comes into contact with birds or their droppings can become contaminated and not fit for human contact.
- Structural damage and damage to foundations caused by burrowing
- Chewing damage to siding, decks etc
- Damage to your lawn and garden
HOW WE GET RID OF THEM
Except for situations where a skunk has gotten into a living space, we do not trap and relocate the animals. This does nothing for preventing the next family of skunks to take up residence on your property. What we do is install preventative measures ensuring the animals can leave safely, but will not be able to regain access.
ONE WAY DOOR SYSTEM
- Injury – working at heights and with wild animals is very dangerous
- Damage to your home – trapping an animal in your home or attempting prevention work can lead to leaks and all kinds of damage to your home by the animal
- Harm to the animal – untrained people attempting this place the animals at risk
ADVANTAGES OF HIRING A PROFESSIONAL
- Certified and trained technicians
- Insurance and liability coverage in case of unforeseen problems
- The area will be properly decontaminated
- Proven methods employed to quickly and safely resolve the issue